- Encourage the use of bat boxes to create roost sites.
- Promote the protection and creation of well-connected habitat which is rich in insect life.
- Raise awareness of the need for bat surveys to be undertaken before development proposals are accepted and encourage measures which retain, create and enhance bat roosts during conversions, renovations and new builds.
- Encourage planners and developers to follow the Bat Conservation Trust good practice guidelines for bat surveys.
- Increase public awareness of the value of bats.
- Ensure the Scottish Biodiversity Strategy is fully implemented.
- Promote the monitoring of bats so we can have a better knowledge and understand of their distribution, as well as their roosting and foraging habits in Scotland.
1. Decline in insects.
2. Negative perceptions.
3. Fragmentation and loss of habitat including tree roosts.
4. Loss of roosts due to renovation of properties and other man-made structures without retaining access for bats.