There are 120,000 Red squirrels in Scotland, 75% of the UK population. Red squirrels are most often found in coniferous woods, feeding on the seeds in pine cones.
- Support the Saving Scotland’s Red Squirrels partnership project – involving Scottish Wildlife Trust, Scottish Natural Heritage, Forestry Commission Scotland, Scottish Land and Estates.
- Support habitat improvement projects.
- Support Grey squirrel control.
- Develop and implement a coherent Scottish Nature Network so actions can be targeted to support species and habitats
- Ensure the Scottish Biodiversity Strategy addresses the IPBES drivers fully.
Rapid decline since the 1950s due to competition from Grey squirrels, squirrelpox virus, habitat fragmentation and road kill.
MSP Nature Champion
Member for: Aberdeenshire West
Region: North East Scotland
Party: Scottish Conservative & Unionist Party