There are 120,000 Red squirrels in Scotland, 75% of the UK population. Red squirrels are most often found in coniferous woods, feeding on the seeds in pine cones.
- Support the Saving Scotland’s Red Squirrels partnership project – involving Scottish Wildlife Trust, Scottish Natural Heritage, Forestry Commission Scotland, Scottish Land and Estates.
- Support habitat improvement projects.
- Support Grey squirrel control.
- Develop and implement a coherent Scottish Nature Network so actions can be targeted to support species and habitats
- Ensure the Scottish Biodiversity Strategy addresses the IPBES drivers fully.
Rapid decline since the 1950s due to competition from Grey squirrels, squirrelpox virus, habitat fragmentation and road kill.