LINK has repeatedly expressed its view that the best way to respond to climate change is to first reduce green house gas emissions by moving away from carbon based energy production, reducing energy consumption and energy loss. We see carbon sequestration as one of the secondary responses that feature further down the list of the … Read More »
The Committee’s interest in the development of biomass is welcomed. Electricity represents approximately 20% of all the energy used in households in Scotland, leaving around 80% as energy generated for heat. The generation of an increasing proportion of this energy from sustainable sources, such as biomass, in conjunction with targets for emission reduction, stabilisation of … Read More »
LINK’s response to the Scottish Government’s consultation on the Scotland Rural Development Programme (SRDP) 2014 – 2020, Stage 2: Final Proposals by Agriculture Taskforce and Woodland Forum.
Letter to Forest Enterprise about the conditions of sale imposed on purchasers of former FES plantations, in particular commitments to maintain woodland management to UKWAS and UK Forestry Standards.
Consultation on forestry provisions in the Scottish Climate Change Bill In principle we welcome the fresh look at how the FCS can deliver for climate change but we are particularly uncomfortable, as we have highlighted before1, with woodland creation for carbon sequestration becoming the primary driver for the government and the National Forest Estate (NFE). … Read More »
Scottish Environment LINK’s view is that the primary role of Scotland’s national forest estate is the protection and enhancement the environment, through the provision of environmental and social public benefits. This is backed up by demonstrating exemplar best practice, and supporting local communities and economies.
Despite the Minister’s positive comments about the levels of funding available for forestry, we would like to register our concern over the apparent inadequate budget available to deliver the proposed Scottish Forestry Strategy and other associated Scottish Executive commitments such as targets within the Biodiversity Strategy…
We are supportive of the overall objectives and tenor of the draft Scottish Forestry Strategy. In particular the emphasis placed on the wide social and environmental roles that Scottish forestry can provide, including supporting biodiversity, improvements to peoples quality of life, economic development, and adaptation to climate change. But, we have a number of concerns…
There has been an increasing recognition that targets to increase woodland cover to 25% of Scotland are inappropriate. Scotland remains one of the least forested countries in Europe, and whilst we do not want to see planting on inappropriate sites (such as peatlands or important semi natural habitats), we would like to see native woodland … Read More »
LINK supports the wording in the draft Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 (Modification) Order 2004. We believe that the modification of the Act will contribute to the achievement of the aim of Part 1 of the Act to ‘create greater opportunity for people to enjoy the countryside’.
The LINK Biodiversity Taskforce welcomed the launch of the Scottish Biodiversity Strategy ‘It’s In Your Hands’ (SBS) and supports the concept of its focused delivery through detailed Implementation Plans. LINK members have been heavily involved in developing the Implementation Plans through the various working groups. While we believe the groups have succeeded in identifying what … Read More »
All documents in this category »
LINK believes that carbon sequestration should not be a primary driver of forestry policy, management of the National Forest Estate, and grant spend in Scotland. Whilst we accept that trees do sequester carbon, and through this process can make a small contribution to combating climate change, primary focus should continue to be on ensuring delivery … Read More »
Scottish Environment LINK was surprised by the recent launch of the Woodland Creation Grants for 2007-2008 application year. Having read through the Support for Woodland Creation in the 2007/08 Planting Season document there are a number of issues that give us some concern and where we seek clarification…