About the competition
The Ocean Dreaming photo competition is run by Wildlife and Countryside Link, in collaboration with Scottish Environment Link, Wales Environment Link and Northern Ireland Marine Task Force. Henceforth known as ELUK (Environment Links UK).
Submission and conditions of entry
- Entry into the competition is acceptance of these Terms and Conditions
- Photos must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before 11:59 on Wednesday 8th July and include
- A brief description of the memory (paragraph max) the photo captures and the location. Descriptions may be considered as part of the judging criteria
- The photographers full name, email and phone number
- All images must have been taken in the United Kingdom and must be photographs taken prior to the covid-19 lockdown being introduced.
- An entry to the competition is free and open to all from any age except individuals involved in the organisation or judging of the competition
- Each entrant may enter up to a maximum of ten images in the competition
- Entries must be in digital format only but the original entry does not need to have been taken on a digital camera. High quality scans or mobile phone images are also acceptable but prints or slides will not be accepted
- Entries must be JPEG file and be the best quality available. File size must be between 1MB and 7MB. Larger file formats may be requested for photos in the final selection.
- Entries must be free from text and photographer’s watermarks
- All photographs submitted must be the work of the individual who submits them
- Entrants must ensure that photographs have been taken with the permission of the subject (where necessary) and do not infringe the copyright of any third party.
- By submitting a photograph entrants agree that ELUK organisations reserve the right to free reproduction and exhibition of the image in all media to promote our work. Though the copyright of photographs remains with the photographer and if used, the image will be credited.
- Entrants must not have done anything to damage the natural environment in any way to capture their photo, this includes compromising animal welfare through capture, proximity or disturbance.
- An entry found not to comply with these terms and conditions at any stage of the competition may be disqualified. ELUK and the judges decision on all matters relating to the competition is final and no correspondence will be entered into concerning the competition’s judges and organisation.
- Due to the high number of entries individual feedback is not possible.
Judging, awards and prizes
- The Marine Working Groups from ELUK, made up of NGOs from WWF, Marine Conservation Society, Greenpeace, The Wildlife Trusts, RSPB, Whale and Dolphin Conservation and many more, will choose the final 14 images and 3 overall winners.
- A list of prizes is available on the competition webpage.
- Wildlife and Countryside Link hope to display the final 14 images at a parliamentary event in the Houses of Parliament in the Autumn to showcase the photos amongst MPs and Government officials. However, we reserve the right to change this plan given the current covid-19 circumstances. ELUK will inform the final 14 entrants of any change in plans as soon as possible.
- Successful entrants who have reached the final 14 will be notified by Wildlife and Countryside Link via the contact details provided in their submission. Every effort will be made to contact entrants where they have won a prize but if the entrant cannot be reached, the winner may forfeit their prize.
- An entrant will only be eligible to win a maximum of one prize, regardless of number of selected images.
- Digital adjustments are acceptable; the way in which any digital enhancement or editing has been used will be taken into account when judging the entry. However, major changes are not allowed and ELUK reserve the right to ask any entrant to supply a range of ‘before’ and ‘after’ files for any entry suspected of being digitally altered.
- The prizes are non transferrable and are exclusive of necessary costs incurred to claim a prize (e.g. travel). ELUK reserves the right to substitute the whole or part of any listed prize without notification but the entrant shall not have any right to demand this.
Data protection and liability
- ELUK regret that they cannot accept liability for any loss of, damage or misuse to any entry submitted into the competition, howsoever caused or for any other loss or damage as a result
- Unsuccessful entries submitted into the competition will be stored for no longer than 6 months following the closing date of the competition. Permission to retain images on file for longer than this may be sought on an individual basis. Entrants agree to being contacted in this regard when submitting an entry.
- The personal data of entrants will be managed by ELUK in accordance with data protection legislation
- Your details will not be passed on to any third party without your permission
- The owners will collect personal data about the entrants at the time of submission and as otherwise provided in order to administer the competition and/or all associated activities.
- Prize winners and entrants have the right to request that the personal data ELUK hold that concerns them be deleted at any point in accordance with Data Protection Laws. Contact details for the owners can be found on the Wildlife and Countryside Link website.
Closing date: Wednesday 8th July
Terms and conditions – June 2020